Opening Ceremony director ousted for Holocaust comments


Tokyo Organizing Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020 president Hashimoto Seiko C and Tokyo 2020 CEO Muto Toshiro L attend a press conference at the Main Press Center of Tokyo 2020 in Tokyo, Japan, July 20, 2021. (Photo by Jia Haocheng/Xinhua via Getty Images)

Tokyo Organizing Committee president Seiko Hashimoto Seiko and CEO Toshiro Muto attend a news conference at the Main Press Center of the Tokyo Olympics. (Photo by Jia Haocheng/Xinhua via Getty Images)

TOKYO — As if the most chaotic Olympics ever needed more controversy before they officially begin here on Friday, the Tokyo 2020 organizing committee dismissed its Opening Ceremony director less than 48 hours before the event, citing comedic comments that the director made over two decades ago about the Holocaust.

Kentaro Kobayashi, a Japanese comedian, had been in charge of the Opening Ceremony’s program since 2019. In recent days, as the Tokyo Olympics get set to begin, news media called attention to a 1998 comedic act in which Kobayashi made light of Nazi Germany’s mass murder of millions of Jews.

Since video of Kobayashi’s comedic routine swept through Japanese media earlier this week, Jewish groups denounced the “anti-Semitic jokes.” In the clip, from 1998, Kobayashi joked about the Holocaust as a “let’s massacre Jewish people game.”

On Thursday, at a nearly hour-long news conference, Tokyo 2020 organizing committee president Seiko Hashimoto announced that Kobayashi had been dismissed, leaving organizers to frantically “review” the Opening Ceremony’s entire script. It is scheduled to begin Friday at 8 p.m. local time (7 a.m ET) at the Tokyo Olympic Stadium.

Hashimoto said she learned of Kobayashi’s comments on Wednesday, through Japanese media. “As soon as possible, we decided we will have to address the issue, and we decided on the dismissal,” she said.

The Opening Ceremony has already been riddled with upheaval and controversy. On Monday, the musician responsible for the ceremony’s musical interlude, Keigo Oyamada, resigned from his post after admitting that he bullied children with disabilities years ago.

The organizing committee’s core has also previously been rocked by scandal. In February, Yoshiro Mori stepped down as president after saying that women talked too much in meetings. A month later, the organizing committee’s creative chief resigned after suggesting that a popular plus-size entertainer wear pig ears at the Opening Ceremony and take on the role of “Olympig.”

And in general, the Olympics are massively unpopular. Local media pressed organizers at Thursday’s news conference about Kobayashi’s dismissal, but also about COVID protocols and their handling of countless logistical problems.

More from Yahoo Sports:

- Advertisement -





Read More: Opening Ceremony director ousted for Holocaust comments 2021-07-22 06:00:49

- Advertisement -

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Get more stuff like this
in your inbox

Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.